An hour west of Boston, The Highlands has easy access to the city, as well as a number of attractions in the area. A popular outdoor activities area, visitors of all ages can enjoy everything the area has to offer. For a day trip, we suggest:
- Top Fun Aviation Toy Museum features only aviation-related toys. With more than 2,000 toys in the collection from all over the world, visitors can learn the history of aviation toys and the fields related to aviation.
- The Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau provides links to attractions, events, hotels and restaurants in and around the city.
- Wachusett Mountain is a popular skiing resort where visitors can enjoy 22 snow trails of varying difficulties. The resort also features a terrain park and 100 percent snowmaking capabilities.
- Located west of Boston, the Johnny Appleseed Trail spans throughout central Massachusetts, featuring many apple orchards in tribute to Johnny Appleseed, restaurants, shopping, activities and festivals.
- The Fitchburg Art Museum has a large collection of textiles, paintings and ceramics spread throughout 14 galleries. The museum, started by Eleanor Norcross, covers three different regions, including ancient Egypt.